Visitor Map

Sunday, June 10, 2007

LOOKING GOOD


Singer and actress Karen Mok, who’s in her 30s, has an upbeat attitude towards ageing. I don’t worry about it. I know I can’t dance onstage forever, so as I age I plan to explore my other passions such as producing films and albums,” she says. In fact, her new Mandarin album is due soon, while she has already started producing her first movie. “We are fixing the script now. It is based on a Chinese athlete who won a gold medal at the Atlanta Olympics. I will play the athlete and will be doing a lot of running.”

Of Welsh-Chinese descent, Karen speaks Cantonese, English, Mandarin, Italian and French, and says she never cared much about looks until she turned 17. “That’s when my mother introduced me to skin care and sun block.” She also started using SK-II in 1997 and became one of their celebrity brand ambassadors.

Here, she shares her down-to-earth approach to good looks:

Between food and staying slim, which is more important?

- I love food. What’s important is to stay healthy, and not worry about being thin.

If you were to create an ideal beauty formulation, what would it be?

- An all-in-one moisturizer, cleanser and toner. I have bottles of different things on my dresser, so I wish there was one formulation that could cleanse, remove make-up, protect with sunscreen and do all sorts of good things for my skin.

What beauty treats are always in your suitcase when you travel?

- A facial mask. It works miracles, especially when the weather is extremely dry. Next is sun protection and lip gloss. I feel gloss is a cross between skincare and make-up, as it keeps my lip luscious and prevents them from chapping.

Name one of your favourite fashion items.

- Custom-made Salvatore Ferragamo shoes. They sponsored a few pairs for one of my concert tours. I still wear them today.

Who inspires you?

- Hong Kong veteran actress Siu Fong Fong and Madonna. I’m inspired by what they have earned for themselves through hard work and great talent. And they are still at it today.